Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Family Date night

David and I went on a cruise a few weeks ago.  We had a blast (I'm sure I'll post about this more later), we have desperately needed to reconnect.  A LOT of things have changed for us in the last 27 months!  This was our first time away since becoming parents -- my first night away from my kids other than when I was in the hospital giving birth to Kru!  We decided we needed to have more date nights, go away for a night or two a couple of times a year and save the big trips to do with the kids.  We did NEED this cruise and wouldn't have traded it for the world but we just kept seeing things we wish we could have shared with the kids.  David's family loves to go on cruises so I'm sure we'll go again soon and will get to share it with our kids, I can't wait!

Anyway, as I said, we want to do more date nights.  I was planning one for David -- one I knew HE would love -- a LOST series finale date night.  I woke up one morning and decided to do it that night, so it was kind of thrown together but come off really well.   I got all my ideas from this great website The Dating Divas, they are a bunch of married women that give ideas on how to date your hubby.  I love it! 

So, our date...

I planned on doing a few theme things for David and I to enjoy after the kids went to bed but as I was getting ready I realized the girls would really enjoy a lot of this, too.  So, I decided we would have a family night first, put the kids to bed, and then we'd have our date night time.  It was a great night!!

Our "Dharma" stuff.  Food, a manual (love notes from all of us), a gift which was a shirt with the Dharma symbol:

Our LOST cake. This could have looked a lot cuter but like I said, last minute.
Here we are in our jammies, eating our LOST cake and watching The Incredibles in our life boat (kiddie pool).  This was my favorite part of the night.  Playing in the life boat was SO much fun!  I blew it up while the kids were napping and it was standing up in the kitchen when the girls woke up.  Lyla walked into the kitchen and gasped, she said "Its my big boat!".  She has been so hung up on boats lately!  She is CRAZY about them.  And I thought it was hilarious she knew it was a boat!!  Its very similar to the kiddie pool my mom has at her house so I thought I'd have to convince them it was a boat and not a pool but, nope. 
Playing in the boat was so fun! They loved to "fall out" and let David and I save them. They loved to swim in the "water". They loved to ride the side of the boat like a horsie. Let me tell you, putting a blow up kiddie pool in your den creates a ton of creative play. We will do this again just for the heck of it!



Then the kids went to bed, we turned on the season finale and drank our Dharma White Wine.  :o)  Good times.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great way to have a family and date night...and a fun theme! It really is hard to have time to connect with your spouse with young kids isn't it? Thanks for stopping by my blog again. We pretty much try to enjoy down time on Friday evenings just about every week.

Katie said...

Such a fun post! Brent and I just looked at all the pictures together. You guys are such a cute family. Kru's hair looks curly! and i love your hair curly too - it looks beautiful (nice tan too)! i can't wait to hear more about the cruise. i love how pressley's smile is so huge.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the blog suggestion. A group of women from my church and I have put together a date night once a month. We drop of the kids for a couple of hours and it is soooo nice to have a dinner together. There are 6 of us so we rotate every 3 month for childcare. I didn't know we needed a datenight until we started this. I can't wait to hear about the cruise.